Kirk here. As you might, I kind of like gadgets. Yes, I actually own that 1992 Motorola DynaTAC to the left… unfortunately, it won’t work in Australia, or anywhere for that matter. Darn! For this trip I’m bringing a few toys with me and wanted to show you what’s being packed.
I also wanted to test out my work-flow for uploading photos here. First, I’ll be transferring the photos from the memory card to my laptop. Then I’ll use Picasa to manage the photos. I’ll use Picasa to upload the photos to my Picasa Web Album account. Finally I’ll logon to this website (which runs WordPress) and use the Picasa Image Express plug-in to link it all together. All this will be happening from some random Aussie cyber-cafe we find on our trek.
- Dell XPS M1330 Notebook — We’ll be hunting for WiFi hotspots!
- T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Phone — Unlocked so I use a prepaid SIM over there.
- Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR — JUST released a few weeks ago. 18MP photos, 1080p HD video, and some lenses to go with it.
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens — This is my fast zoom lens. Should get some great shots with this.
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens — For wide angle shots. With this you can stand 2 feet away from a car and get the whole car in the frame.
- Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens — No zoom, but my fastest lens. Unfortunately the auto-focus just stopped working. Ugh.
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens — This is my all around lens.
- Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG — Something to carry all this stuff in.
- Panasonic DMC-FX01S Digital Camera — Andrea’s baby. She has a underwater housing for this. It’s what we’ll be taking during our dives in the Great Barrier Reef.
- Manfrotto 680B Monopod & a Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod — A photographers best friend.